Friday, June 13, 2014

Final Watercolor Landscape


Purpose: To use and demonstrate what you learned from the watercolor exercises in class to create your own landscape painting

In my final painting I used a variety of techniques to create the different textures within my scene. First, I used saran wrap in the mountains in the background which, though is not is not as clear as I would like, is visible in the bluest mountain and gave it a an appearance of rougher texture, almost like trails you can see from a distance. I also used tissue paper in the mountains. I like the texture of it a lot, however I think my color choice really ruined it because it didn't match the overall scheme of the piece. The most effective technique I used was the salt, which creates the splotchy pattern in the water. It took several tries, but I'm very happy with the result. The last technique I use quite a bit was the tip-only and whisking brush technique. These two combined gave me the ability to create the marsh grass in large quantities and varying sizes. Since the majority of the piece is marsh I wanted to use the brush technique to give a feeling of this overwhelming amount of reed grasses, and I think it was effective.

No comments:

Post a Comment