Friday, June 13, 2014

Final Thoughts

There were so many lessons I enjoyed this year, all of which I felt I took a lot away from. The first I want to talk about is the linear perspective drawing homework, which even though was just a homework assignment, was one of my favorite assignments of the year.
This assignment gave me an opportunity to practice a variety of skills with a medium we had only used in practices of other units. Perspective was, to me, the most interesting concept we studied and I am continually fascinated by the depth it creates. The reason I love this piece so much is that it utilized not only placement and measurement, but how to effectively blend and use colored pencil in pieces with perspective. Figuring out the correct color scheme to this piece, as well as measuring and drawing the lines, really solidified the technique for me. I think overall, it definitely changed how I approach any landscape.

The second unit exercise I really enjoyed was the watercolor practice as well as the booklet.
As someone who has been a long-time, self-proclaimed hater of watercolor I wasn't overly enthusiastic entering this unit. However, it was a hugely opinion changing unit for me. Both the practice page and technique booklet showed me just how much you really can do with watercolors, and how to do so properly. I didn't previously understand the importance of both having good materials and understanding how to correctly and effectively use them. I was pretty amazed at everything I could do with a medium I used to find completely frustrating. Though I still struggled a little with the final project, I feel like the unit as a whole totally changed my perspective on the medium. It made me want to explore it even more, and try to improve my knowledge and skill.

No comments:

Post a Comment