Monday, March 24, 2014

Still-Life Studies




Purpose: To use strong compositional skills to depict a fruit or vegetable; To use knowledge of color and a variety of brush strokes to paint a still-life

As I begin my final still-life I definitely want to keep in mind the idea of a looser style. I really like the look and feel of using a mixture of smooth and rough textures in the subject. I definitely think loosening up and using the complimentary colors really helped me to create a better still-life. I did struggle a lot with using the pallet knife, though, so that's also something I'd really like to work with in the future, even if not in my upcoming still-life.

My favorite of the three studies actually ended up being the alternate color scheme. Making everything its complementary color was the easiest color switch but it also created a really striking painting, which I really liked. Making the background complementary to the subject was another technique I really liked because it made the subject really stand out.

Going into my final painting I'd like to try and use a mix of the above techniques, as well as create a color scheme that is different than to the fruit's true-to-life color. In experimenting I also found the difference direction of brush strokes created, and got a feel for strokes that gave the most realistic feel to a pear. I want to rememeber that going in as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment